Marathon miles walk
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives. Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives.
Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven day fundraising trek.
All of the money they raise will be donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
The girls' mum, Dawn Darnell told The Hunts Post: "In 1982 Michelle was born with a congenital heart defect which, without the intervention from Great Ormond Street, she would not have been with us today.
"This year, with Michelle celebrating her 25th birthday, my daughters felt it was a good opportunity to show their gratitude to the hospital and the staff for the life-saving surgery they performed on Michelle."
Starting in Beijing, the sisters will pass through Huangyauan, Jinshanlin, Gubeiko and Juyongguan walking a gruelling 38 hours a day. The walk will require them to walk 'heavens ladder', which is a steep climb of 200 steps.
- 1 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 2 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 6 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 7 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 Civil war event in Huntingdon this weekend
- 10 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
Danielle, 24, a beauty therapist, added: "Michelle was given only a 40 per cent chance of survival and without the life-saving surgery given at Great Ormond Street Hospital she wouldn't be here today. We owe the hospital Michelle's life."
INFORMATION: Anyone wishing to support the sisters' walk can make a donation by sending cheques, payable to GOSHCC, to The Millers House, Thicket Road, Houghton, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE28 2BQ.