Marathon miles walk
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives. Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives.
Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven day fundraising trek.
All of the money they raise will be donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
The girls' mum, Dawn Darnell told The Hunts Post: "In 1982 Michelle was born with a congenital heart defect which, without the intervention from Great Ormond Street, she would not have been with us today.
"This year, with Michelle celebrating her 25th birthday, my daughters felt it was a good opportunity to show their gratitude to the hospital and the staff for the life-saving surgery they performed on Michelle."
Starting in Beijing, the sisters will pass through Huangyauan, Jinshanlin, Gubeiko and Juyongguan walking a gruelling 38 hours a day. The walk will require them to walk 'heavens ladder', which is a steep climb of 200 steps.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 4 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 8 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 9 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
Danielle, 24, a beauty therapist, added: "Michelle was given only a 40 per cent chance of survival and without the life-saving surgery given at Great Ormond Street Hospital she wouldn't be here today. We owe the hospital Michelle's life."
INFORMATION: Anyone wishing to support the sisters' walk can make a donation by sending cheques, payable to GOSHCC, to The Millers House, Thicket Road, Houghton, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE28 2BQ.