Marathon miles walk
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives. Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven
TWO sisters are this week walking along the Great Wall of China as they try to raise £5,000 for the hospital that saved one of their lives.
Danielle and Michelle Darnell, who both live in Thicket Road, Houghton, flew to Beijing on Saturday for their seven day fundraising trek.
All of the money they raise will be donated to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
The girls' mum, Dawn Darnell told The Hunts Post: "In 1982 Michelle was born with a congenital heart defect which, without the intervention from Great Ormond Street, she would not have been with us today.
You may also want to watch:
"This year, with Michelle celebrating her 25th birthday, my daughters felt it was a good opportunity to show their gratitude to the hospital and the staff for the life-saving surgery they performed on Michelle."
Starting in Beijing, the sisters will pass through Huangyauan, Jinshanlin, Gubeiko and Juyongguan walking a gruelling 38 hours a day. The walk will require them to walk 'heavens ladder', which is a steep climb of 200 steps.
- 1 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 2 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 5 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 6 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 7 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 8 Event to remember village's war hero
- 9 St Neots Town get new boss as Corr takes up Cambridge post
- 10 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
Danielle, 24, a beauty therapist, added: "Michelle was given only a 40 per cent chance of survival and without the life-saving surgery given at Great Ormond Street Hospital she wouldn't be here today. We owe the hospital Michelle's life."
INFORMATION: Anyone wishing to support the sisters' walk can make a donation by sending cheques, payable to GOSHCC, to The Millers House, Thicket Road, Houghton, Huntingdon, Cambs, PE28 2BQ.