Man cleared of sex charges
A 20-year-old man was yesterday (Tuesday) acquitted of raping a teenage girl in charges relating to alleged assaults over three years ago. Karl Hartnett, from Thomas Road, Huntingdon pleaded not guilty at Huntingdon Crown Court to four charges of sexual a
A 20-year-old man was yesterday (Tuesday) acquitted of raping a teenage girl in charges relating to alleged assaults over three years ago.
Karl Hartnett, from Thomas Road, Huntingdon pleaded not guilty at Huntingdon Crown Court to four charges of sexual assault, assault by penetration, rape and attempted rape. After a four-day trial, he was found not guilty on all charges.
A teenage girl had told the court, via a video link, that Mr Hartnett had attacked her when he was either drunk or high on drugs. The allegations related to attacks between September 2005 and September 2006.
At the time of his arrest and in court this week, Mr Hartnett denied having any form of relationship with the girl - or ever regarding her in any sexual way.
You may also want to watch:
He told the court that the first he had heard of the allegations was in March last year.
He said he was so shocked that his reaction had been to report the allegations to the police saying he wanted her prosecuted for slander.
- 1 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 2 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 3 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 4 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 5 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 6 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 7 Hinchingbrooke paediatrician’s relief after getting Covid-19 vaccine
- 8 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 9 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 10 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
He told the court: "I felt physically sick. I didn't know what to think, I felt gutted.