Man cleared of rape and indecent assault charges
A FORMER Huntingdonshire man has been cleared of raping and indecently assaulting a 13-year-old girl. Peter Rainey, who now lives in Grand Parade, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, was accused of indecently assaulting the girl in the 1980s. During a trial Mr Rainey, f
A FORMER Huntingdonshire man has been cleared of raping and indecently assaulting a 13-year-old girl.
Peter Rainey, who now lives in Grand Parade, Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, was accused of indecently assaulting the girl in the 1980s.
During a trial Mr Rainey, formerly of Kent and Wyton, told Peterborough Crown Court: "It never happened because it is distasteful and completely wrong.
"It is a disgraceful and disgusting thing to do and I would never do it."
It was suggested that the girl, who is now a grown woman and who cannot be named for legal reasons, had made up the allegations as a result of her dealing with the divorce of her parents and a financial matter.
The woman told the court: "I kept quiet (about what was happening) but I felt sad when it was happening."
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 3 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 4 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 8 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 Two lorries crashed on A14 near Spaldwick
When asked by Mr Rainey's defence lawyer, Richard Barraclough, if the incidents had actually taken place, the woman said: "Yes it did and it was disgusting."
The woman made the allegations to police in July 2005.
* The trial took place in November but due to legal restrictions the result can only now be reported.