Madness of George
WHAT a shame the consultants and architects did not take the opportunity when designing the building in process in George Street, Huntingdon, to give the town an architectural landmark to be proud of. Aesthetically there is no connection with the surround
WHAT a shame the consultants and architects did not take the opportunity when designing the building in process in George Street, Huntingdon, to give the town an architectural landmark to be proud of.
Aesthetically there is no connection with the surrounding buildings, especially the George Hotel. The brickwork and facade are dull and without essential detail which would have complimented everything, considering the monumental scale.
Shame and sadness. When we look around at other towns, we see opportunities grasped, but I am afraid in years to come this building will have much the same tired and weary feeling that Chequers Court has and people will wish it gone.
Where has the vision gone with our architects and consultants? We are in their hands concerning our environment, yet they fail to raise our heads and open our eyes, just make us want to look away.
You may also want to watch:
The fact that innovation and quality have been sacrificed for cost and politics is so obvious. The worry is that there is more ahead for us in the way of industrial, utilitarian-looking architecture for the town. George would have certainly gone mad.
STEVE RAMSAY, Bromholme Lane, Brampton
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 3 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 4 Family-run business with expanding reputation
- 5 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 8 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 9 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- 10 For sale: Carefully crafted, new build homes with generous plots in rural village of Clopton