Lord Toby – his Acer support deserves your support
I WOULD like to pledge my support to Lord Toby Jug for election as a local councillor.
His backing of our campaign to save Acer Ward at Hinchingbrooke Hospital came with a sincerity I personally valued, borne of his experience of witnessing first hand the impact of mental illness on the lives of people close to him: his stepfather, who was once a patient on Acer Ward, and his mentor and former Monster Raving Loony Party leader, Screaming Lord Sutch, who suffered from manic depression and fought against it all his life before it became too much and sadly overwhelmed him.
On the day of our demonstration against the ward closure, from which all of us campaigners drew such strength, I had the feeling that Lord Sutch was also cheering along with Toby’s slogan: “Only real madmen close much-needed hospital wards.”
Lord Toby Jug is someone who is prepared to say it like it is and stand up for important local issues such as this – that’s a rare thing these days. What’s more, in these dark times where politics seems to be all doom and gloom, he is a source of smiles and laughter, adding a bit of cheer to the local community, including our cause.
You may also want to watch:
Save Acer Ward Campaign
- 1 Huntingdon home to one of the most 'luxurious' breakfasts in the UK
- 2 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 3 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 4 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 5 Pigeons still roosting on old A14 bridge despite preventative mesh
- 6 Widow, 80, cleans blocked drain in Buckden after 'several floods'
- 7 Four dogs rescued after being abandoned on A14
- 8 Visiting to resume at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 10 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020