Little change since Cromwell's day
JUST over 350 years ago (April 20, 1653) our Oliver Cromwell addressed the House of Commons thus: It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice
JUST over 350 years ago (April 20, 1653) our Oliver Cromwell addressed the House of Commons thus:
"It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonoured by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice: ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government: ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would, like Esau, sell your country for a mess of pottage, and, like Judas, betray your God for a few pieces of money.
"Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse: gold is your God; which of you have not bartered your conscience for bribes?
"Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
You may also want to watch:
"Ye sordid prostitutes, have you not defiled this sacred place, and turned the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by the people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves gone.
"So, take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go."
- 1 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 2 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 3 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 4 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 5 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 8 The changing face of forests and woods in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Huntingdon care home company scoops award in region's top 20
- 10 'We want to help our market towns' - Funding plans extended due to pandemic
Things just don't seem to change. Come back Olly, all is forgiven.
Rev PHILIP FOSTER