Legislation costs, while we struggle
IT is nice to know that there is lots of money to go around to make sure that all the smokers are kept happy (whether they want it or not) before the July 1 legislation. I speak as an office worker (non-smoking), who has seen at least some £16,000 spent o
IT is nice to know that there is lots of money to go around to make sure that all the smokers are kept happy (whether they want it or not) before the July 1 legislation.
I speak as an office worker (non-smoking), who has seen at least some £16,000 spent on a specially-built smokers' shelter and a conversion to a door so that they don't have to go all the way round the building to get to the shelter. A nice trellis is being put up with replacement clematis next to it - the rabbits have eaten the first of the plants.
My local pub will soon be non-smoking. This means that for the first time in ages I can sit in the heart of the pub, rather than be relegated to the far end. But presumably the smokers will then all be in the garden and I will boil in the pub on a hot day. Silly me. All the doors will be open, wafting the smoke back in from the garden.
I'm not angry at the smokers, especially not the considerate ones who have kept their habit away from me. I'm angry at the legislation, which deems we spend ridiculous amounts of money that could be much better spent.
You may also want to watch:
I am a volunteer for a project in Cambridge that helps children who care for adults to have a bit more fun and freedom in their lives. The amount so far spent on this smokers' shelter would keep our project running for some while. Currently, it is under threat of being folded for lack of funding. What hope have we got when decisions are made like this?
LIZ CARRAN, Myrtle Green, St Ives
- 1 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 2 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 5 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 6 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 7 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 8 Event to remember village's war hero
- 9 St Neots Town get new boss as Corr takes up Cambridge post
- 10 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon