Leaves on the line? Not a problem...
EARLY morning trains to London will leave slightly earlier to compensate for the effect of autumn leaf fall. Only three trains are affected, with two leaving Huntingdon and St Neots slightly earlier than timetabled. Arrival times at Kings Cross are not ch
EARLY morning trains to London will leave slightly earlier to compensate for the effect of autumn leaf fall.
Only three trains are affected, with two leaving Huntingdon and St Neots slightly earlier than timetabled. Arrival times at Kings Cross are not changed.
The 5.10am departure from Peterborough leaves three minutes earlier, but there is no change to departure times from Huntingdon and St Neots - 5.27 and 5.34 respectively.
The 6am from Peterborough will leave there at 5.58, Huntingdon at 6.13 instead of 6.15, and St Neots at 6.21 instead of 6.23.
And the 6.48 from Huntingdon is re-timed for a minute earlier and leaves St Neots a minute earlier at 6.55am.
Train operator First Capital Connect said: "As leaves settle on the railway tracks they are compacted as soon as a train runs over them, turning the leaves into a hard Teflon-like coating - similar to driving a car on an icy road.
- 1 Air Ambulance is called to serious crash on London Road in St Ives
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 House set alight in Brampton
- 4 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 7 Sawtry homes plan is approved
- 8 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 9 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 10 Parking fees rise will encourage 'more sustainable travel choices'
"These conditions reduce the rate at which our trains can speed up and slow down and this in turn extends journey times.
"We are working closely with Network Rail to eliminate the problem by removing trees and bushes close to the railway lines and running special trains that remove the leaf mulch from the rails.