Leaking gas cylinders found in St Neots could have exploded
LEAKING gas cylinders left dumped in a St Neots street could have caused an explosion, according to firefighters. Firefighters acted quickly to isolate the valves and make safe two 47kg propane cylinders and one butane cylinder found in Cemetery Road at
LEAKING gas cylinders left dumped in a St Neots street could have caused an explosion, according to firefighters.
Firefighters acted quickly to isolate the valves and make safe two 47kg propane cylinders and one butane cylinder found in Cemetery Road at 7.30pm on Tuesday, May 26.
It is believed the cylinders were left by fly-tippers and could have caused an explosion had they not been dealt with so quickly by the emergency services.
Callum Faint, Station Manager at St Neots Fire Station said: "If a cylinder is involved in fire, it basically acts like a small bomb. Debris, including shards of metal from the cylinder can be thrown up to 100m.
You may also want to watch:
"We would strongly urge members of the public to realise the dangers of dumping cylinders and to dispose of them in a responsible manner at all times."
The cylinders have been taken away by Huntingdonshire District Council.
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 3 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 4 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 7 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
INFORMATION: Anyone unsure of how to dispose of cylinders should contact Cambridgeshire County Council on 0345 0455207.