Laura’s Rocky lessons in life
AN Army Cadet from Huntingdon has earned top marks after a gruelling test of skills on a six week leadership course in Canada s Rocky Mountains. Sergeant Major Laura Conway, 18, was the only Cambridgeshire cadet to take part in the challenge at the Canadi
AN Army Cadet from Huntingdon has earned top marks after a gruelling test of skills on a six week leadership course in Canada's Rocky Mountains.
Sergeant Major Laura Conway, 18, was the only Cambridgeshire cadet to take part in the challenge at the Canadian Cadet National Summer Training Centre in Calgary, Alberta.
During July and August, Laura joined 12 other youngsters across Great Britain to face extreme tests of her skills and physical fitness, including white water canoeing, mountain biking on ski trails, rock climbing and hiking.
And all the time, Laura was consistently among the top scoring cadets.
She said: "I was the only girl to be in the fast group, and it was so tough. But it was such an amazing experience. Walking up a glacier through deep snow was great.
"This course taught me never ever to give up in life, no matter what, and was the best six weeks of my life."
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
At the final graduation ceremony, Laura was selected to lead her group and received the award for best canoeist.
INFORMATION: Anyone interested in finding out more about the Cambridgeshire Army Cadet Force can visit www.cambsacf.com or call 01223 862949.