Kris’s food for thought
A GOOD idea by a young care worker has meant that residents at a retirement home in Upwood are better fed. Kris Gach, 23, has devised Nutrition Cards for every person at Manor House, run by Bupa. The cards tell staff instantly vital information about the
A GOOD idea by a young care worker has meant that residents at a retirement home in Upwood are better fed.
Kris Gach, 23, has devised Nutrition Cards for every person at Manor House, run by Bupa. The cards tell staff instantly vital information about the resident's diet.
They contain data on what sort of food each resident likes, whether the food needs to be liquidised, whether they can feed themselves or need help and whether they are diabetic, vegetarian or have other specialist needs.
There is also a "traffic light" system for weight gain and loss. Red is a sign that the individual is losing weight, yellow for maintaining or gaining weight and green is their normal weight.
You may also want to watch:
Kris's wife, Katrzyna (known in the home as Kate) said: "This information was kept here but it was in so many different places that we would go into the kitchen and have a long discussion about what we should give people. Now, what used to take about 15 minutes takes only about five."
Kris, who has come from Poland with Katrzyna to live in Ramsey and who has worked at Manor House since December, 2005, said: "It is a very simple idea and it didn't take long to put into practice. I am glad that it is helping."
- 1 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 2 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 3 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 4 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 5 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 6 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 7 Solar farm plan will have no impact on 'light, noise or smell'
- 8 Tickets on sale now for this summer's Shakespeare at the George
- 9 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 10 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
As reward for a good idea, Bupa, which owns Manor House, has given Kris a certificate and gift vouchers.