Kim’s cash bid for orphans
A DETERMINED mother is seeking sponsorship to fulfil a life-long ambition to help orphaned children living in the developing world. Kim Wagland, 41, who works as a dispenser at Parkhall Surgery in Somersham is hoping to raise £1,500 to go on a three-week
A DETERMINED mother is seeking sponsorship to fulfil a life-long ambition to help orphaned children living in the developing world.
Kim Wagland, 41, who works as a dispenser at Parkhall Surgery in Somersham is hoping to raise £1,500 to go on a three-week missionary project to South Africa.
The trip has been organised by the charities Soapbox and TLC to rescue babies who have been abandoned by their parents as a result of HIV/AIDs or poverty.
"It is something I have always wanted to do but I was never sure how to go about doing it," said Ms Wagland.
You may also want to watch:
"I hope to help people who are desperately in need. I imagine it will be a very humbling experience and very emotional."
Ms Wagland will be join 12 other volunteers who fly to the small African village of Eikenhofm, 10kms south of Johannesburg, on September 6.
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 3 Village job club providing vital service
- 4 Alconbury to benefit from £200,000 flood protection funding
- 5 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 6 New project will enhance river at Godmanchester
- 7 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 8 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 9 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 10 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
The mother of three said: "We will be feeding, changing and just generally helping to look after the children. There will also be some maintenance work to do at the orphanage."
She added: "I would say it is going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity but I'm sure as soon as I get back I will want to do it again. It's going to be amazing."
To kick-start her fund-raising efforts she has organised a quiz to take place on March 14 and a concert on June 21 at the Victory Hall in Somersham at 7.30pm. Tickets cost £5.
INFORMATION: To sponsor Kim or to attend one of her fundraising events, call 01487 741216 or 07866 817133. To find out more, visit www.soapboxtrust.com or www.tlc.org.za