KICK-OFF: World's longest football match starts today in Huntingdon
FOOTBALL-MAD fundraisers from Huntingdon kick off their attempt to play the world s longest-ever game this afternoon (Saturday). The match will start at 3pm at the all-weather pitch at Hinchingbrooke School and is scheduled to finish 40 hours later at aro
FOOTBALL-MAD fundraisers from Huntingdon kick off their attempt to play the world's longest-ever game this afternoon (Saturday).
The match will start at 3pm at the all-weather pitch at Hinchingbrooke School and is scheduled to finish 40 hours later at around 7am on Monday morning.
Zac Cornish, 19, has organised the match to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Relief, The Stuart Strange Vasculitis Trust and East Anglian Children's Hospices. Zac's dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2007 and it is hoped the match will raise �20,000 for the charities.
Two teams will field the usual 11 players, but a roll-on, roll-off format. Each squad's seven subs will allow the game to last almost two days, with each player expected to play 25 hours of football.
You may also want to watch:
Zac said: "I'm looking forward to playing - and I am definitely looking forward to all the organising being over, there has been so much to do you wouldn't believe."
The current record stands at 36 hours and was set in Bristol.
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Volunteers needed for memorial nature reserve
- 5 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
- 6 Secret Garden Party to return after five years
- 7 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 10 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
INFORMATION: For more information, to sponsor the event or to make a donation, visit www.target40.co.uk.