Jail threat for crime hoaxers
PEOPLE who make false reports of robberies could find themselves in court facing a six-month jail sentence for wasting police time. And the maximum fine is £2,500. Detectives believe one report in 12 is false, and they have had enough. They this week warn
PEOPLE who make false reports of robberies could find themselves in court facing a six-month jail sentence for wasting police time. And the maximum fine is £2,500.
Detectives believe one report in 12 is false, and they have had enough. They this week warned anyone making a false report that the starting point is an £80 fixed penalty, with more serious offenders being hauled before the courts.
They could also find themselves being investigated for other crimes.
Detective Inspector Matt Potts said: "False reports cause an awful lot of bureaucracy and waste a lot of our time when we have genuine cases that warrant full investigation."
But he stressed that robberies in Huntingdonshire were not common.
"We don't suffer nearly as many personal robberies as our cities, Cambridge and Peterborough, do."
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 6 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 7 Sir John Major to answer questions at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 8 Garden railway raises money for 3 Pillars
- 9 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 10 A charity football match involving a mixed Polish and Ukrainian team aims to raise funds for Ukraine
DI Potts believes the motive for fake reports is usually fraudulent insurance claims or attempts to get additional prescribed drugs or duplicate benefit payments.
"It's not like hoax calls to the fire service. I guess the individual is looking for some remuneration and needs a crime number to get it.