Jail threat for crime hoaxers
PEOPLE who make false reports of robberies could find themselves in court facing a six-month jail sentence for wasting police time. And the maximum fine is £2,500. Detectives believe one report in 12 is false, and they have had enough. They this week warn
PEOPLE who make false reports of robberies could find themselves in court facing a six-month jail sentence for wasting police time. And the maximum fine is £2,500.
Detectives believe one report in 12 is false, and they have had enough. They this week warned anyone making a false report that the starting point is an £80 fixed penalty, with more serious offenders being hauled before the courts.
They could also find themselves being investigated for other crimes.
Detective Inspector Matt Potts said: "False reports cause an awful lot of bureaucracy and waste a lot of our time when we have genuine cases that warrant full investigation."
You may also want to watch:
But he stressed that robberies in Huntingdonshire were not common.
"We don't suffer nearly as many personal robberies as our cities, Cambridge and Peterborough, do."
- 1 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 3 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 4 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 5 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 6 Brampton's 'fantastic' village fete welcomes 4,000 revellers
- 7 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 8 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 9 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 10 Leader champions Huntingdonshire as 'great place to live'
DI Potts believes the motive for fake reports is usually fraudulent insurance claims or attempts to get additional prescribed drugs or duplicate benefit payments.
"It's not like hoax calls to the fire service. I guess the individual is looking for some remuneration and needs a crime number to get it.