Is it conservation?
I NOTE that Huntingdonshire District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council are happy with the plans for the Grand cinema development in Ramsey. As a lifetime citizen of this town, I am not enthusiastic. With a river running under the full length of th
I NOTE that Huntingdonshire District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council are happy with the plans for the Grand cinema development in Ramsey. As a lifetime citizen of this town, I am not enthusiastic.
With a river running under the full length of the Great Whyte and with two parallel roads, the road system is unique, and at times chaotic. As a result of these plans, Ramsey would lose 22 parking spaces it can ill afford, at the same time as introducing a possible 24 extra vehicles into an area where none have previously existed.
The library at present is situated next to the infant school and a very short distance from the juniors. A lifetime interest in reading starts at these ages - is it really a good plan to encourage very young children into this much busier area?
No 29 Great Whyte (the small white cottage) has character, was in existence before the cinema and is in a conservation area, but is to be demolished - what does "conservation" mean, exactly?
You may also want to watch:
I expressed these views to HDC's head of planning services last November, because I feel strongly about the outcome of these plans. I hope others do too.
Mrs D J DAVISON, Station Road, Ramsey
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 4 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 5 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 6 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 7 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 8 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 9 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 10 More Readers' Photos for this week