Inspector’s blog: Warmer weather can mean lighter fingers
Ian Ford is sector inspector of the Huntingdon area for Cambridgeshire Police. He will be giving weekly updates on activities in and around the town.
We are now well and truly into the holiday season and finally beginning to see some warmer weather.
Although the weather is very welcome it can bring its own problems in terms of increasing crime opportunities for some in the Huntingdon area.
The most obvious associated problem is the temptation to leave windows and doors open in homes to let in fresh air and then forgetting to shut and lock them when going to bed or leaving your property.
I would urge you all to check windows and doors are secure and if you are able, not to leave ground floor windows open at all.
You may also want to watch:
There are other preventative measures you can take to secure your property (that includes vehicles, homes and businesses) by not leaving it on show or near open windows where an opportunist thief can strike easily and quickly.
Consider registering your property on www.immobilise.com and make sure your more expensive items are marked, insured and if possible photographed.
- 1 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 2 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 7 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 8 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 9 Village Focus: Silver coins among ancient finds in Hartford
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
Certain electrical items such as Iphones have facilities which enable them to be tracked should they be stolen. Although I am not a technical wizard I am informed that this can be easily done using the appropriate application (app).
I would like to share some good news with you in relation to a series of burglaries and vehicle crime which were occurring in the Oxmoor / Hartford area at the beginning of the month.
On July 20 a local 21 year old male was arrested and charged with a burglary which occurred in the Hartford area two days before. He was subsequently remanded in custody by the court and is awaiting trial.
If you have information about any crime please contact the neighbourhood policing team on 0345 456 456 4 or you can provide information anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
If you wish to learn more about your local policing team or receive regular e-mail updates via E-cops visit the Cambridgeshire Constabulary website at www.cambs.police.uk