I’ll avoid A14
I HAVE been most unfortunate to have a period of time working in the local area and needing to use the A14. My experience tells me there has been no reduction in accidents since the installation of the average speed cameras, as I have been forced to the b
I HAVE been most unfortunate to have a period of time working in the local area and needing to use the A14.
My experience tells me there has been no reduction in accidents since the installation of the average speed cameras, as I have been forced to the back roads on at least five occasions in the space of a fortnight. What I see are more lorries in the outside lane as, it seems, many people are wrongly thinking the national limit for dual carriageways is 60mph and are driving below that speed.
Even worse is that many people do not understand what average means. I have seen countless vehicles travelling at about 65mph-plus and all of a sudden over-brake to 50mph approaching the cameras.
This has made this stretch of the A14 even more frustrating than it was before.
You may also want to watch:
It seems that the erratic few, entering from the slip roads straight across the first lane into the outside lane, have increased, as have those leaving it to the second-last approach sign to exit. I would suggest cameras on the junctions and slip roads to catch dangerous drivers would have been far more effective.
It would be wrong to restrict lorries to the inside lane at peak periods as this would make it very difficult to join or leave the road, but introducing fixed penalties for driving too close would be far better than trying to control speed.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 4 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Pasco Hussain is named as the new mayor of St Ives
- 9 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 10 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
I guess the cameras are reducing usage, as I for one will choose village routes north of Cambridge and the A1 for anywhere south of Cambridge during peak periods.
MARTIN SANDERSON, Wyton