Hunts swimmer Steadman gets grant to help 2012 gold push
GOING FOR GOLD: The Papworth Trust has given a grant to 18-year-old swimmer Lauren Steadman to help her in her attempt to win Paralympic gold.
Lauren, from Sawtry, started training with the Huntingdon Piranhas but now studies and trains at Kelly College in Devon.
She started to compete at competition level in 2006 and helped the Great Britain Paralympic Team win gold medals at the World Champions in Brazil and the European Championships in Iceland in 2009, and in two National Championships last year.
Lauren, who was born without her right hand and lower arm below the elbow, said: “This grant will take the financial pressure off so that I can concentrate on my races at the Berlin European Championships this July. I have been selected for GBR to race the 400 free and the 100 back at the Europeans, and then I shall focus my attention on London 2012 and that podium finish.”
Papworth Trust director David Martin, who sat on the judging panel, added: “In Lauren’s application she showed herself to be very ambitious and determined to excel at her sport. Papworth Trust wishes her every success and is proud to help her to achieve her goals.”
You may also want to watch:
INFORMATION: The Papworth Trust has launched a fundraising campaign to help more young local athletes achieve their goals. The �2012 by 2012 campaign challenges supporters to raise �2012 by the day the Olympic Games launch in July 2012. Find out more at www.papworth.org.uk/2012, where you can also register your interest in taking part and find other resources to support you.
- 1 New cafe bar set to move into former Dorothy Perkins store in St Neots
- 2 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 3 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 4 Competition launched to name new St Ives park
- 5 Football club is now a mobile testing centre for coronavirus
- 6 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 7 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 8 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 9 Donations from school's Little Shop of Kindness is life-line for families
- 10 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine