Hunts girl Edwards wins World Cup
CHARLOTTE Edwards lifted the World Cup as she captained England Ladies cricket team to victory against New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday. England dismissed the Kiwis for 166 in 47.2 overs in the final to bring the World Cup back to England for the first t
CHARLOTTE Edwards lifted the World Cup as she captained England Ladies cricket team to victory against New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday.
England dismissed the Kiwis for 166 in 47.2 overs in the final to bring the World Cup back to England for the first time since 1993.
Pidley woman Edwards, 29, managed 10 runs and was one of three England cricketers to fall to Lucy Doolan, who claimed 3-23.
Nicki Shaw turned out to be the unlikely hero for England, claiming 4-34 as England beat the White Ferns to win the World Cup for the first time on foreign soil.
Edwards was delighted with the victory to finally win the World Cup at her fourth attempt. "This is amazing. We have worked so hard to achieve what we did here today and I am so proud of all the girls," she said.
"I am almost lost for words; this is what I have dreamed of since I was a little girl and for it to happen is fantastic. I've been to four World Cups, so to finally win one is just incredible.
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 3 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 4 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 5 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 6 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 7 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 8 Could you give these pets a home?
- 9 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 10 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years