Hunts can influence Whitehall high street review
WOULD you let your readers know that there is a government website, www.bis.gov.uk/highstreet, where they can make comments or tick others’ comments on what we need to do to save the High Street – or in our case St Ives.
The website is quite badly designed, and you have to scroll down for a long time to get to the comments that have been inputted.
The more comments there are and the more people tick the comments they like the more notice the Government and Mary Portas will have to take.
My comments are under the name ‘So Cross Now’, and if your readers want to tick that they like my contribution I would be most grateful.
Contribution from So Cross Now: Business rates need a complete overhaul. After all, internet shops do not have the same overheads as local shops and do not contribute to the social tapestry that our local retail shops do.
You may also want to watch:
Charity shops in our town sell new goods against local retailers, yet do not pay up to 80 per cent of business rates. They also inflate business rate tariffs by attracting landlords who can guarantee rents because rates are artificially low.
Our town markets come in with stalls that rival the permanent shops such as key-cutting, butchery, baking, take-aways.
- 1 Pubs with outdoor seating and details of how to book a table, from April 12
- 2 Man who drove at runner before crashing is disqualified
- 3 Ancient church and former airfield are historical features of Graveley village
- 4 Tributes paid to Prince Philip from across Huntingdonshire
- 5 Village bonded during pandemic and community began stronger
- 6 What are the rules when pubs reopen on April 12
- 7 Highways England agreed to meet A14 campaigners at site of 'dangerous junctions'
- 8 Town rangers are the friendly face of the High Street
- 9 Students in Ramsey complete 180,874 minutes of exercise for school challenge
- 10 New shop opening in St Ives as lock-down eases on April 12
Local shops have so much set against them we might as well all go home. Last one out put out the lights please.
JANE and RICHARD WATERS
Time for Health