Hunts can influence Whitehall high street review
WOULD you let your readers know that there is a government website, www.bis.gov.uk/highstreet, where they can make comments or tick others’ comments on what we need to do to save the High Street – or in our case St Ives.
The website is quite badly designed, and you have to scroll down for a long time to get to the comments that have been inputted.
The more comments there are and the more people tick the comments they like the more notice the Government and Mary Portas will have to take.
My comments are under the name ‘So Cross Now’, and if your readers want to tick that they like my contribution I would be most grateful.
Contribution from So Cross Now: Business rates need a complete overhaul. After all, internet shops do not have the same overheads as local shops and do not contribute to the social tapestry that our local retail shops do.
You may also want to watch:
Charity shops in our town sell new goods against local retailers, yet do not pay up to 80 per cent of business rates. They also inflate business rate tariffs by attracting landlords who can guarantee rents because rates are artificially low.
Our town markets come in with stalls that rival the permanent shops such as key-cutting, butchery, baking, take-aways.
- 1 New cafe bar set to move into former Dorothy Perkins store in St Neots
- 2 New chief operating officer appointed at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 3 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 4 Football club is now a mobile testing centre for coronavirus
- 5 Competition launched to name new St Ives park
- 6 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 7 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 8 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 9 Donations from school's Little Shop of Kindness is life-line for families
- 10 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
Local shops have so much set against them we might as well all go home. Last one out put out the lights please.
JANE and RICHARD WATERS
Time for Health