Huntingdonshire MPs delighted at A14 upgrade funding announcement
- Credit: Archant
HUNTINGDON MP Jonathan Djanogly says the A14 upgrade announcement today is excellent news for Huntingdonshire.
Jonathan Djanogly MP, who has been at the forefront of the campaign over the last decade, said: “Today’s announcement by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury is excellent news for my constituents in Huntingdonshire and for the economic prospects of the entire Eastern region.
“If traffic looks bad on the A14 now with it operating virtually at full capacity, this is nothing compared to the disastrous gridlock we shall have when the economy picks up again.
“That is why we must go ahead and improve this road now and why I have been campaigning for so long on this issue. I am very pleased that the Government has now recognised the critical need to upgrade the A14.
“Local MPs, councils, business leaders and the Local Enterprise Partnership have put a great deal of work into leading a strong campaign for a better A14 and I am pleased to say that the Chief Secretary’s announcement today is the successful outcome of that sustained effort.”
You may also want to watch:
Shailesh Vara, MP for Northwest Cambridgeshire, told The Hunts Post: “This is excellent news. Crucial work on the A14 is long overdue as a better A14 will not only benefit motorists but it will be good for the region’s economy.
“A lot of people have campaigned hard for this decision over many years and it’s good that we cab finally start to prepare for the construction works to begin in 2016.”
- 1 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 2 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 3 Harrowing video warning from seriously ill 20-year-old who survived Covid
- 4 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 5 First patients in St Ives to receive Covid-19 vaccination
- 6 Here's your 'thank you' messages for school staff
- 7 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 8 Police investigation closed into deaths of two men in Hunts village
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal