Huntingdon racing cars included at Le Mans
HUNTINGDON-built racing cars will feature prominently at the annual Le Mans endurance race in June. The 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours entry list will feature eight Lola-built chassis for the 77th running of the great endurance race. With four Huntingdon-built car
HUNTINGDON-built racing cars will feature prominently at the annual Le Mans endurance race in June.
The 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours entry list will feature eight Lola-built chassis for the 77th running of the great endurance race. With four Huntingdon-built cars in each of the LMP1 (Le Mans prototype) and LMP2 classes, Lola is the most represented constructor in the field for the second year running. It is also the largest Lola entry at the La Sarthe circuit since 1979.
Executive chairman of Lola Group, former racing diver Martin Birrane, said: "Eight cars is a significant number for Lola in what for me is the greatest race in the world. We have some of the finest teams racing our cars and we will be supporting each of them to the best of our capabilities.
"We aim to consolidate our excellent results in recent years at Le Mans and there is a real excitement and anticipation that the eight Lola built LMP cars can lead the challenge in both LMP1 and LMP2 classes in 2009."
Since Mr Birrane's acquisition of Lola in 1997, over 60 Le Mans sportscars have been designed and built at Lola's headquarters, more than any other constructor in the world, Mr Smith said.
Since 2000 there has been five LMP2 class victories for Lola customer teams.
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 3 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 4 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 5 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 6 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 7 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 8 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 9 Could you give these pets a home?
- 10 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
Picture: YELDI MEDIA INTERNATIONAL