Huntingdon racing cars included at Le Mans
HUNTINGDON-built racing cars will feature prominently at the annual Le Mans endurance race in June. The 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours entry list will feature eight Lola-built chassis for the 77th running of the great endurance race. With four Huntingdon-built car
HUNTINGDON-built racing cars will feature prominently at the annual Le Mans endurance race in June.
The 2009 Le Mans 24 Hours entry list will feature eight Lola-built chassis for the 77th running of the great endurance race. With four Huntingdon-built cars in each of the LMP1 (Le Mans prototype) and LMP2 classes, Lola is the most represented constructor in the field for the second year running. It is also the largest Lola entry at the La Sarthe circuit since 1979.
Executive chairman of Lola Group, former racing diver Martin Birrane, said: "Eight cars is a significant number for Lola in what for me is the greatest race in the world. We have some of the finest teams racing our cars and we will be supporting each of them to the best of our capabilities.
"We aim to consolidate our excellent results in recent years at Le Mans and there is a real excitement and anticipation that the eight Lola built LMP cars can lead the challenge in both LMP1 and LMP2 classes in 2009."
You may also want to watch:
Since Mr Birrane's acquisition of Lola in 1997, over 60 Le Mans sportscars have been designed and built at Lola's headquarters, more than any other constructor in the world, Mr Smith said.
Since 2000 there has been five LMP2 class victories for Lola customer teams.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 3 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 4 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 7 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 8 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 9 For sale: Period property in Somersham has been lovingly restored with particular attention to detail
- 10 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
Picture: YELDI MEDIA INTERNATIONAL