Huntingdon Iron Bridge junction is ‘worst I’ve seen’
AS A salesman who travels many thousands of miles each year, I can honestly say that I have never before encountered such a dangerous set-up as the old Iron Bridge at Huntingdon.
I have lost count of the number of accidents witnessed during the past 12 months, including one vehicle on its roof.
The problem, as I see it, is a combination of various factors. First, on the approach to Ermine Street, the curvature of the road prevents the left-hand side of the traffic lights being seen until the last moment. This may be perfectly satisfactory until the light sequence is changed for altering traffic demands. Usually, at around 4.30pm, this sequence is greatly speeded up, with the consequence that many motorists are caught out, myself included.
As the right-hand set of lights are set back more than 20 metres from the left-hand set it is possible to see the lights change from green to red and back again in the journey between the lights. Also, the louvred hoods fitted to the lights in both directions reduce visibility and add to the motorist’s dilemma.
This is particularly noticeable on the set of lights on the journey from Ermine Street to Spittals. The speed at which the lights change also means that I have only narrowly avoided traffic from St Peter’s Road where a similar set-up exists.
You may also want to watch:
As a regular visitor to Huntingdon, I believe this is an intolerable situation, particularly as a sign declares that the area is under 24-hour surveillance so that the authorities must be aware of the situation.
I wonder how many of your readers have had similar experiences.
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 3 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 6 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 7 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 8 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life