How about reducing parking charges in Hunts
WE read with dismay your piece in last week’s Hunts Post (Traders hit out at new parking plans, November 21) setting out Huntingdonshire District Council’s proposal to double the minimum stay at most of the council-run car parks.
Currently drivers can park for an hour for 60p, and two hours for �1.20. The council intends to do away with the 60p for one hour, making the minimum �1.20 for up to two hours. These charges are already ridiculously high in the current economic climate, but to impose a minimum charge of �1.20 seems utter madness. The article states that HDC says ‘the change is designed to encourage people to visit and shop for longer’.
Just how it could do this baffles us. There’s only one party that stands to gain by the proposal, and that’s the council! Here’s a radical idea: to support local residents and businesses how about making parking 60p for two hours, or even free as in Ramsey?
While on the subject of parking, we have on a number of occasions complained about the amount of illegal parking with impunity in St Ives town centre. This has been a problem for a number of years, and was down to a lack of policing. Recently the matter has improved with PCSOs patrolling the town on a regular basis and issuing parking tickets.
So, credit must go to the police for finally tackling the problem – long may it continue.
TOM and MAUREEN O’CONNELL
Just Cards and Thorntons
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 3 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 7 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 8 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster
- 9 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 10 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell