Houghton stream death woman named
THE identity of a young woman who was found dead in a stream at Houghton at the weekend has been revealed. The body of 29-year-old Donna Jarrett of Wessell, Houghton was discovered on Sunday (December 31) in a section of water that runs between the A1123
THE identity of a young woman who was found dead in a stream at Houghton at the weekend has been revealed.
The body of 29-year-old Donna Jarrett of Wessell, Houghton was discovered on Sunday (December 31) in a section of water that runs between the A1123 and Home Farm Road.
An inquest into her death was opened and adjourned today (Wednesday) in Huntingdon by coroner David Morris. The hearing was adjourned to allow further tests to take place.
Ms Jarrett's body was spotted by a member of the public.
You may also want to watch:
Police have said her death is not being treated as suspicious.
Villagers have spoken to The Hunts Post of their shock at what they believe to have been a tragic accident.
- 1 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 2 Dramatic drop in face-to-face GP appointments
- 3 Read our focus on Ramsey town centre
- 4 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 5 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Charity 130-mile trek raises over £4,000 after rare diagnosis for Hunts man
- 8 Grants handed out to help people with cancer in Hunts total £17,000
- 9 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 10 'Am I being overcharged for gas and electricity'?
One resident, who lives in Home Farm Road which backs onto the stream, said: "It is very sad.
"I looked out of my window and saw officers sectioning off part of the pathway and I heard the police helicopter.
"When I went outside to question them they just said there had been an incident."
Another Home Farm Road resident added: "It has shaken the village. She was so young. It is a really sad and unfortunate state of affairs and a total waste of a young life."
Paying tribute to Ms Jarrett, Cllr Alan Williams, chairman of Houghton and Wyton Parish Council said: "The whole village is very shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic death of this young lady.
"Our thoughts are with her family at this very sad time. They have the condolences of us all."
The death is the second tragedy in that stretch of water.
About 10 years ago a man called David Edwards fell in the water and died. A bench in his memory was placed at Houghton Mill.