Hospital waits on heart ops inquiry result
A HEALTH watchdog investigating an increase in mortality rates at one of the UK s leading heart transplant hospitals is set to return its findings this week. Heart transplants were halted at Papworth Hospital on Thursday, November 1, and a reviewwas lau
A HEALTH watchdog investigating an increase in mortality rates at one of the UK's leading heart transplant hospitals is set to return its findings this week.
Heart transplants were halted at Papworth Hospital on Thursday, November 1, and a reviewwas launched by the Healthcare Commission after a routine audit showed a slight increase in early mortality rates in patients who had that type of operation at the hospital.
It was found seven out of 20 patients had died within 30 days of the operation.
The hospital said although the numbers were small, it was of "sufficient concern" for them to inform the Department of Health.
You may also want to watch:
It is believed that the Healthcare Commission investigators have been studying individual case notes of patients who have died since January after heart transplants.
A spokesman for Papworth said: "The Healthcare Commission is completing its review into heart transplant services at Papworth Hospital.
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 5 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 6 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 7 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 8 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 9 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 10 Godmanchester community pulled together throughout the pandemic
"We understand they will present their findings to the Chief Medical Officer later this week and a statement will be made following this."
The spokesman said the review was still taking place so she could not disclose any more information.
All other services at the hospital remain unaffected.