Experience IWM Duxford as the sun goes down at August after-hours flying evening
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
Aviation enthusiasts will be able to experience flying at IWM Duxford after hours at a special August Bank Holiday weekend event.
The museum in Cambridgeshire will be hosting Flying Evenings: After Hours on Saturday, August 28.
Visitors will be able to watch a spectacular evening aerial display as the sun goes down over the historic airfield.
From camera-ready flypast moments to enjoying refreshments on a lazy Saturday summer’s evening, you will see IWM Duxford in a whole new light.
Among the aircraft scheduled to fly are Flying Fortress 'Sally B' , the last remaining airworthy B-17 in Europe, a couple of Spitfires, a Curtiss P-40F Warhawk, Spanish fighter Hispano HA-112 MIL Buchón, the de Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapide, and Hawker Hurricane P3717, a Battle of Britain veteran.
You may also want to watch:
Gates open at 5pm and AirSpace and Hangar 4 will remain open during the event.
Tickets are on sale now via the Duxford website at www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events
Last Wednesday's August 11 Flying Days: Showtime was designed for younger Duxford fans and their families.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 6 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 9 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 10 Food business sponsors new kit for under-10s
While visitors could see reenactors on the ground and the NHS Spitfire up close on static display, there wasn't much flying to enjoy with only the North American Harvard, Yakovlev Yak-50, and Mudry CAP 10 taking to the skies.
Another Duxford flying day, Young Aviators, takes place at the IWM site on Thursday, August 19.