HDC's first chief executive dies at his home in St Ives
NEVILLE Godfrey, who was Huntingdonshire District Council s first chief executive when it was created in 1974, died peacefully at his home in St Ives on Thursday (June 25). He was 83. Mr Godfrey, whose wife Bertha died some time ago, had devoted his entir
NEVILLE Godfrey, who was Huntingdonshire District Council's first chief executive when it was created in 1974, died peacefully at his home in St Ives on Thursday (June 25). He was 83.
Mr Godfrey, whose wife Bertha died some time ago, had devoted his entire working life to local government, apart from war service with the Grenadier Guards.
Mr Godfrey, who came from Lincolnshire, was appointed chief executive-designate of the then Huntingdon District Council (later to be renamed Huntingdonshire District Council) in 1973, having been clerk to St Ives Rural District Council and, before that, Town Clerk of St Ives Borough Council. He retired from HDC in 1984.
During his time at the district council, he, along with a then quite new MP (now Sir John Major), is credited with having played a key role in getting Hinchingbrooke Hospital built. At the time, there was considerable debate about whether Huntingdon was big enough to sustain a hospital of that size - a debate that resurfaced three years ago when the hospital's future was threatened.
You may also want to watch:
His funeral will be held at All Saints' Parish Church, St Ives, on Monday, July 6 at 11.30am, conducted by the Vicar of St Ives, Fr James Pullen.
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 5 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 6 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 7 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
- 8 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
- 9 Historic St Ives former grammar school site set for houses after £1m sale
- 10 Delays in Hartford due to crash between cyclist and motorist