Halloween surge in 999 calls
HALLOWE EN saw a huge increase in 999 calls to Cambridgeshire police. Between 5pm and 10pm on Wednesday, October 31 the police force control room received an average of more than one call a minute and a total of 369 calls. A total of 71 of the calls rece
HALLOWE'EN saw a huge increase in 999 calls to Cambridgeshire police.
Between 5pm and 10pm on Wednesday, October 31 the police force control room received an average of more than one call a minute and a total of 369 calls. A total of 71 of the calls received between 5pm and 10pm were in relation in incidents in Huntingdon and Fenland.
The majority of calls were in relation to Hallowe'en and trick or treaters, with reports of eggs being thrown, large groups of youths hanging around and fireworks being set off.
Last year between the same period police received 349 emergency calls. On an average Wednesday evening they would normally receive around 200 calls between 5pm and 10pm.
You may also want to watch:
A police spokesperson said: "Hallowe'en is always a busy evening for police and traditionally sees a large increase in `999' calls.
"This year was no different with the Force Control Room receiving a large number of calls in relation to nuisance behaviour and minor criminal damage.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 7 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 8 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 9 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 10 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
"Patrols across the county were increased last night in anticipation of this increase in calls for service.