Gypsies do not want to settle
I CANNOT comment on particular proposed traveller or gypsy sites, but the comment that, if travellers want to settle, they should buy houses (Letters, September 3) does need a response. First, many gypsies do not want to settle. They have been forced to b
I CANNOT comment on particular proposed traveller or gypsy sites, but the comment that, if travellers want to settle, they should buy houses (Letters, September 3) does need a response.
First, many gypsies do not want to settle. They have been forced to by the simple fact that most traditional stopping places, used by gypsies for centuries, have been fenced off, sold off and privatised. They are fined, persecuted and moved on wherever they stop.
Gypsies and travellers do not like house-living. Unlike us, they live a more communal open-air life, surrounded by families of several generations - something politicians say we should admire (the family bit).
I live near an Irish traveller site and have worked close to a Romany site - no better, no worse than my other neighbours. The fear of a gypsy site is far worse than the reality. If you are really serious about finding out the reality of living near gypsies, contact the Gypsy Council and ask to visit an established gypsy/traveller site.
Lastly, tell me the building society or bank that will give a mortgage to anyone, let alone a nomadic gypsy or traveller
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 3 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 4 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 5 Updated details of the Christmas lights switch-on in St Neots
- 6 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
- 7 London Luton Airport and NATS will go ahead with Huntingdonshire flight path
- 8 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 9 Crafty Monkey is encouraging people to shop local this winter
- 10 Steve's Taxis has donated more than £20,000 to Hinchingbrooke Hospital