Gypsies do not want to settle
I CANNOT comment on particular proposed traveller or gypsy sites, but the comment that, if travellers want to settle, they should buy houses (Letters, September 3) does need a response. First, many gypsies do not want to settle. They have been forced to b
I CANNOT comment on particular proposed traveller or gypsy sites, but the comment that, if travellers want to settle, they should buy houses (Letters, September 3) does need a response.
First, many gypsies do not want to settle. They have been forced to by the simple fact that most traditional stopping places, used by gypsies for centuries, have been fenced off, sold off and privatised. They are fined, persecuted and moved on wherever they stop.
Gypsies and travellers do not like house-living. Unlike us, they live a more communal open-air life, surrounded by families of several generations - something politicians say we should admire (the family bit).
I live near an Irish traveller site and have worked close to a Romany site - no better, no worse than my other neighbours. The fear of a gypsy site is far worse than the reality. If you are really serious about finding out the reality of living near gypsies, contact the Gypsy Council and ask to visit an established gypsy/traveller site.
You may also want to watch:
Lastly, tell me the building society or bank that will give a mortgage to anyone, let alone a nomadic gypsy or traveller
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 3 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 4 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 5 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
- 10 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris