Grill causes flat fire
A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a flat in Godmanchester. Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire on Tuesday night (March 4) was started by a grill which had been left on after making toast. A fire brigade spokesman sa
A WOMAN was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire at a flat in Godmanchester.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fire on Tuesday night (March 4) was started by a grill which had been left on after making toast.
A fire brigade spokesman said a couple had been cooking, and had forgotten to turn off the grill. They quickly realised that their kitchen was full of smoke.
After turning off the power supply, the couple dialled 999 and fled from the property.
Two fire crews from Huntingdon arrived and found the flat was heavily smoke logged.
When they entered the building, the firefighters found the fire was out, opened the windows and fitted a smoke alarm.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 3 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 4 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 7 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 8 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 9 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 10 Hinchingbrooke Hospital get share of £4.5m to 'improve care'
The spokesman said they would be visiting nearby homes to carry out fire safety checks, fortunately the couple were near enough to the kitchen to realise what was happening.
Rob Allport, watch manager at Huntingdon Fire Station said: "Leaving on appliances is a common cause of fire and can cause devastating damage to a home and put lives at risk.
A working smoke alarm provides an early warning to a fire if the residents are not close enough to smell the smoke or see the flames."
INFORMATION: To request a free fire safety check, and have a smoke alarm fitted for free, contact your local fire station or 01480 444666 and quote code PSO.