Green bin payments could create more landfill
HUNTINGDONSHIRE District Council is to be congratulated on widening the variety of plastic containers that can now go in our blue bins for recycling. This will mean there will be less and less in our grey bins.
There is however one drawback, that is talk of charging for a second green bin. This would be a retrograde step. The contents of green bins are after all also sent for recycling.
I certainly would not be prepared to pay extra for this. What it would mean is the recyclable food waste that currently goes into the green bin would go back into the grey bin to free up space for green garden waste, thereby increasing what is sent for landfill.
This is not something that I would want to do.
ANTHONY D BARRACLOUGH
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 6 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 House set alight in Brampton
- 9 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 10 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge