Grant helps pupils grow their own veg
CHILDREN from two primary schools in Godmanchester have been learning how to grow and harvest vegetables thanks to a grant from the Local Network Fund. The pupils from Godmanchester Community Primary School and St Anne s Church of England Primary School
CHILDREN from two primary schools in Godmanchester have been learning how to grow and harvest vegetables thanks to a grant from the Local Network Fund.
The pupils from Godmanchester Community Primary School and St Anne's Church of England Primary School enjoyed practical experience in the vegetable garden at the community nursery in Park Lane, Godmanchester.
A grant of £6,097 was obtained by The Friends of Hinchingbrooke Country Park to encourage young people to learn how to produce food and to encourage healthy eating. The Local Network Fund is a national fund for children and young people. The funding runs until December.
Mary Evans, nursery project officer said: "There is no better way to get children eating vegetables than to get them to grown their own. The produce they grew was enjoyed by their class back at school and taken home for their families to share."
The nursery, run by Huntingdonshire District Council, also houses a greenhouse, tree nursery and local variety apple orchard.
INFORMATION: Anyone who is interested in visiting, or becoming a volunteer to help maintain the site, should contact the project officer on 07939 822782.
- 1 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 3 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 OBITUARY: village resident Roma aged 101 dies
- 6 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 7 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Buckfest named as Cambridgeshire's best festival
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body