Grand plans - don't ignore local councillors
IF HDC and Luminus are so concerned to put Ramsey back on the map (Letters, September 3) why do they not consider giving the old grand a face lift, instead of knocking it to the ground and building a monstrosity that the majority of residents who live in
IF HDC and Luminus are so concerned to put Ramsey back on the map (Letters, September 3) why do they not consider giving the old grand a face lift, instead of knocking it to the ground and building a monstrosity that the majority of residents who live in Ramsey or are Ramsey born and bred do not want?
We know complaints have been made about the noise (so soundproof it) but the Grand was there long before the houses around it were built. Why move to this place if you know it's going to be noisy? It's the same as these stupid people that move and live at the end of an airfield and then have the audacity to complain about the noise from planes, or move to a faming community and complain about the wildlife, the smells, bird scares, farmers harvesting at night, airfields, planes, noise and so on. What do they expect? Next they will want to stop the dawn chorus.
Why do they not listen to the people of this very old and historic town that has much to offer? We know it needs updating in places, but not to the extent of destroying its history and taking away what can only be described as Ramsey's heart.
Why have they not learned from their mistakes? Old people's prefabs were knocked down and Canberra Court, which needs constant CCTV surveillance, was built in its place. Why did they not rebuild more OAP housing? Do Luminus and HDC communicate with other departments or just act independently?
What about the youth of the community? The only thing Ramsey has to offer them for their future is take-away shops and public houses and maybe a smack on the head with a brick or a bit of concrete on the way home.
Why is it that, when Ramsey Town Council rejects applications to change shops into housing, HDC sees fit to reverse the decision? The people vote for their town councillors and have faith in their judgement to make the right decisions for the good of the town. Why do they waste their valuable time free of charge, if all HDC is going to do is make a mockery out of them and make it look like they can't do the job they have been entrusted to do.
- 1 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 2 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 3 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 4 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 5 Joyce proudly shows off her 100th birthday card from the Queen
- 6 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Little Gransden Air and Car Show to celebrate 30 years of fundraising for children in need
- 9 War-time crash crew take on street names in Godmanchester
- 10 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball
E B HOWARD