Good on the Independents
GORDON Brown, the Labour Party in meltdown nationwide: heady stuff – and, with the Conservative representatives taking all three district seats locally, congratulations to them. For me though, the defining point was the townsfolk of St. Ives turning out
GORDON Brown, the Labour Party in meltdown nationwide: heady stuff - and, with the Conservative representatives taking all three district seats locally, congratulations to them.
For me though, the defining point was the townsfolk of St. Ives turning out in number to vote for change in the town council ... true democracy in action. During the following morning, the count at the Burgess Hall was nonetheless absorbing. It was evident that a clear pattern was emerging and, just after noon, it was announced that all 11 Independent candidates had been successful.
Having met and worked with them during the last few weeks of their campaign,
I must say that I am much impressed by the sheer diversity of skills offered and their motivation and enthusiasm for the future of the St Ives. What is more, decisions made will be totally apolitical and, acting as independent members, a greater degree of transparency will evolve. I can honestly say the newly-elected members of the town
You may also want to watch:
council will not be found wanting.
And let Oliver Cromwell have the last word: subtlety may deceive you, integrity never will.
- 1 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 2 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 3 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 4 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 5 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 6 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 7 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 8 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 9 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
- 10 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor