Good on the Independents
GORDON Brown, the Labour Party in meltdown nationwide: heady stuff – and, with the Conservative representatives taking all three district seats locally, congratulations to them. For me though, the defining point was the townsfolk of St. Ives turning out
GORDON Brown, the Labour Party in meltdown nationwide: heady stuff - and, with the Conservative representatives taking all three district seats locally, congratulations to them.
For me though, the defining point was the townsfolk of St. Ives turning out in number to vote for change in the town council ... true democracy in action. During the following morning, the count at the Burgess Hall was nonetheless absorbing. It was evident that a clear pattern was emerging and, just after noon, it was announced that all 11 Independent candidates had been successful.
Having met and worked with them during the last few weeks of their campaign,
I must say that I am much impressed by the sheer diversity of skills offered and their motivation and enthusiasm for the future of the St Ives. What is more, decisions made will be totally apolitical and, acting as independent members, a greater degree of transparency will evolve. I can honestly say the newly-elected members of the town
You may also want to watch:
council will not be found wanting.
And let Oliver Cromwell have the last word: subtlety may deceive you, integrity never will.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 8 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 9 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 10 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary