Give us clear plans
AS the independent councillor on St Neots Town Council, I feel that it is incumbent upon me to correct the comments about the resignation of Mrs Hopewell in your article Parties set to fight out by-elections (June 14). Mrs Hopewell told me a year ago t
AS the independent councillor on St Neots Town Council, I feel that it is incumbent upon me to correct the comments about the resignation of Mrs Hopewell in your article "Parties set to fight out by-elections" (June 14).
Mrs Hopewell told me a year ago that she would like to resign, but was pressurised by her Lib Dem colleagues to stay for fear that the Conservatives would win the seat and gain control of the council.
In the last year, Mrs Hopewell attended only three of the 33 meetings she was scheduled to attend and her resignation came in only days before she would have been excluded for failing to attend for six months.
The Lib Dems have a nerve accusing Conservative councillors of staying on after moving. I remember one Lib Dem councillor who moved away from St Neots three weeks after being elected.
You may also want to watch:
I just wish that all political parties would stop sniping at each other, particularly at election time, and tell the people their plans to improve the towns they wish to represent. That's if they actually have any plans, which certainly does not seem to be the case in St Neots at present.
BOB BARNES, Independent town councillor, St Neots
- 1 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 2 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 3 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 4 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 9 Plea to hold a Macmillan Coffee Morning as sign-ups drop
- 10 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon