Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week. A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King s in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to wi
Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week.
A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King's in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to win the East Anglia regional heat of the European Youth Parliament debating competition.
The contest involved each school representing a committee of the European Parliament to debate topics, including the possibility of a Europe-wide ban on smoking.
Thomas Bridge and Giovanni Laino were singled out for their well-researched speeches during the event, which took place at Kimbolton Castle.
You may also want to watch:
The Kimbolton team will now go on to compete in the national finals in Durham this September.
Just a few days prior to their success, the Kimbolton pupils won the district semi-finals of a Rotary public speaking competition, qualifying for the finals taking place next month.
- 1 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 2 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 8 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 9 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 10 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
Joseph Newsam, who with Alison Bates runs the debating and public speaking society at Kimbolton, said: "Debating as a whole provides our students with valuable life skills such as researching, public speaking and working under pressure in a public arena."