Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week. A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King s in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to wi
Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week.
A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King's in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to win the East Anglia regional heat of the European Youth Parliament debating competition.
The contest involved each school representing a committee of the European Parliament to debate topics, including the possibility of a Europe-wide ban on smoking.
Thomas Bridge and Giovanni Laino were singled out for their well-researched speeches during the event, which took place at Kimbolton Castle.
You may also want to watch:
The Kimbolton team will now go on to compete in the national finals in Durham this September.
Just a few days prior to their success, the Kimbolton pupils won the district semi-finals of a Rotary public speaking competition, qualifying for the finals taking place next month.
- 1 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 2 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 3 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 4 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 5 Family-run business with expanding reputation
- 6 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 7 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- 8 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 9 Ten motorists charged with drink driving over Bank Holiday weekend
- 10 For sale: Carefully crafted, new build homes with generous plots in rural village of Clopton
Joseph Newsam, who with Alison Bates runs the debating and public speaking society at Kimbolton, said: "Debating as a whole provides our students with valuable life skills such as researching, public speaking and working under pressure in a public arena."