Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week. A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King s in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to wi
Sixth form students proved their debating skills to be the best in the county after winning two competitions in less than a week.
A team of eight Kimbolton School pupils fought off competition from schools such as King's in Ely and St Ivo in St Ives to win the East Anglia regional heat of the European Youth Parliament debating competition.
The contest involved each school representing a committee of the European Parliament to debate topics, including the possibility of a Europe-wide ban on smoking.
Thomas Bridge and Giovanni Laino were singled out for their well-researched speeches during the event, which took place at Kimbolton Castle.
The Kimbolton team will now go on to compete in the national finals in Durham this September.
Just a few days prior to their success, the Kimbolton pupils won the district semi-finals of a Rotary public speaking competition, qualifying for the finals taking place next month.
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 4 Jail for man who threatened to kill former girlfriend
- 5 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 6 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 7 See the average house price for Cambridgeshire's 'top' villages
- 8 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 9 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
Joseph Newsam, who with Alison Bates runs the debating and public speaking society at Kimbolton, said: "Debating as a whole provides our students with valuable life skills such as researching, public speaking and working under pressure in a public arena."