Getting rid of heritage
I SPENT an evening with an old friend in Huntingdon, reminiscing about our younger days and how the evenings were spent. At the two cinemas, the Grand and the Hippodrome, both long gone, modern dancing and old time balls in evening dress at the Town Hall
I SPENT an evening with an old friend in Huntingdon, reminiscing about our younger days and how the evenings were spent.
At the two cinemas, the Grand and the Hippodrome, both long gone, modern dancing and old time balls in evening dress at the Town Hall and the George Hotel, and square dancing in the George Hall.
At this point, the conversation and the mood changed from the past to the present. Did I know the George Hall was going to be demolished? This I find hard to believe. Is Huntingdon really going to lose more of its old buildings and heritage?
The George Hall was built as a church in 1845-46 with a spire that was removed sometime in the 1920s. The church was dedicated to St John the Evangelist but, as the building was paid for by Lady Olivia Sparrow of Brampton Park, it was Lady Sparrow's Church.
You may also want to watch:
I understand it is to be demolished in January 2008. I was also told of another building to be demolished, the Hunts County Militia Barracks, Brookside, built in 1852.
For Huntingdonshire's county town, the district council certainly believes in getting rid of the past heritage and history. Shame on it.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 4 Prison for dealer who rammed police car
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 7 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 8 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 9 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 10 Dr Nik in Ely for his first day as Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Mayor
PEGGY SEAMARK, Victoria Terrace, Hemingford Grey
* Editor's note: HDC says it has no plans to demolish George Hall, which it does not own. The former barracks is part of a current planning application, which has not yet been determined.