Get Community Centre started says Councillor
MOUNTING costs have forced plans for a long awaited community centre in St Neots to go back to the drawing board. The Eatons Community Centre was granted planning permission by Huntingdonshire District Council in December but a shortage of funds has mean
MOUNTING costs have forced plans for a long awaited community centre in St Neots to go back to the drawing board.
The Eatons Community Centre was granted planning permission by Huntingdonshire District Council in December but a shortage of funds has meant St Neots town councillors have had to put the project on hold while a new plan is drawn up within budget.
At a meeting of St Neots Town Council last Wednesday councillors set a new budget of £1.1million, which is more than £400,000 below the original cost of the project.
Speaking at the meeting, Cllr Derek Giles said: "It's a well known fact building costs go up eight per cent a year, it's way above inflation. We have got to get this started, for goodness sake. I think the people of the Eatons deserve this. Every day we delay it costs us more and more."
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of St Neots Cllr Paul Ursell agreed, adding: "We need to push forward with this, everyone in St Neots deserves it. The design will be looked at to cut the cost of the project."
The council agreed to find a quantity surveyor and architect to revise plans for the community centre, which is intended to include a large hall, meeting rooms, a kitchen and a bar and be built near to the Rainbow superstore on Great North Road in Eaton Socon.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 4 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Pasco Hussain is named as the new mayor of St Ives
- 9 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 10 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson