Gallery & Video: Huntingdon's new library opens
HUNTINGDON S new library opened its doors to the public this morning, after a �4.6m renovation. The purpose-built premises on Princes Street, Huntingdon, boast nearly 20,000 extra books, an expanded children s section, and a new caf� for customers. The cl
HUNTINGDON'S new library opened its doors to the public this morning, after a �4.6m renovation.
The purpose-built premises on Princes Street, Huntingdon, boast nearly 20,000 extra books, an expanded children's section, and a new caf� for customers.
The climate-controlled Huntingdon archive strongroom will house nearly one million items relating to the history of the county, including medieval charters, printed registers and Victorian photographs.
Automated book issuing desks will replace check-out counters, freeing up staff to help customers with advice and enquiries. The new library will have also have longer opening hours, including Sundays.
You may also want to watch:
Lesley Noblett, Head of Library Services, said: "This is a really exciting day for the library.
"People have been responding really well to the new building - when they walk in their reaction is "wow". They are amazed at how much space we have, and how bright and airy the building is," she said.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 4 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 5 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 6 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 10 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
"We hope that this will inspire people to make as much use of the library as possible."
The library has been operating from Dryden House while the new building was constructed.