Gallery: Thousands turn out for Cambourne Village Fete
WELLY wanging, medieval combat re-enactment displays and circus skills were just a few of the activities on offer at Cambourne s first village fete and 10th birthday celebrations. More than 1,000 people of all ages descended on the settlement on Saturday
WELLY wanging, medieval combat re-enactment displays and circus skills were just a few of the activities on offer at Cambourne's first village fete and 10th birthday celebrations.
More than 1,000 people of all ages descended on the settlement on Saturday for a free day of festivities.
The event took place in the High Street from noon-4pm, and included stalls, exhibitions, games, raffles, races and refreshments. There was also a Chinese lion dance, a tallest sunflower competition, a fancy dress competition and the final of Cambourne's Got Talent.
Catherine Dawkins, chair of Cambourne All-In which organised the event, said the day was a huge success with 1,500 programmes handed out.
She said: "People have come to us with positive feedback saying there was something for everyone and it felt like a village fete, bringing the community together.
"This was the first village fete and it was enjoyed by everyone and next year promises to be even better."
- 1 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 2 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 3 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 4 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 5 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 6 Home of the Week
- 7 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 8 Ramsey students crowned winners in science competition
- 9 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball
- 10 Joyce proudly shows off her 100th birthday card from the Queen
The festivities were supported by South Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambourne Parish Council, Granta Housing Society, Morrisons, Taylor Wimpey, Bovis Homes, Circle Anglia, The Cambridge Housing Society Limited, Monkfield Arms, CBS and ABMEC.