Gallery: Go-Ahead for Cambs Guided Bus
THE �300,000 bus lane along Old Houghton Road, Hartford, has been given the green light. Construction is expected to start in early autumn after further public consultation. The move was approved on Monday by the Huntingdonshire traffic management committ
THE �300,000 bus lane along Old Houghton Road, Hartford, has been given the green light. Construction is expected to start in early autumn after further public consultation.
The move was approved on Monday by the Huntingdonshire traffic management committee, which also agreed access should be restricted to scheduled buses and emergency service vehicles. That taxis will be unable to use the lane. There will be a footpath and cycleway alongside the bus lane.
The road was closed to through traffic when the A141 Huntingdon northern bypass opened in the 1980s.
Engineers believe the new 30mph lane will save buses more than three minutes of queuing in the morning peak.
You may also want to watch:
When the proposed order for the bus lane was consulted on three years ago, it attracted five objections from the public, four of them questioning the need for any vehicles other than scheduled buses and emergency service vehicles to be allowed to use it.
There are also plans to move 200 metres closer to Hartford Marina the point at which pedestrians and cyclists cross the A1123.
- 1 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 2 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 3 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 4 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 5 Lorry driver who 'couldn't stand up' was three times over drink-drive limit
- 6 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men
- 7 Dog owners urged to take extra precautions after spate of thefts
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine rolled out at care home in Huntingdon
- 9 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 10 More than 60 fines issued to Covid rulebreakers in Cambs already this year