Gallery: Fire destroys Yim Wah Restaurant
FIRE gutted the Yim Wah Chinese restaurant at Caxton Gibbet in a blaze which lasted for most of the weekend. The roof and the first floor of the building were destroyed in the flames. The blaze was fought by more than 50 firefighters with crews at the sce
FIRE gutted the Yim Wah Chinese restaurant at Caxton Gibbet in a blaze which lasted for most of the weekend.
The roof and the first floor of the building were destroyed in the flames. The blaze was fought by more than 50 firefighters with crews at the scene from seven firestations: Huntingdon, St Neots, Papworth, Gamlingay, Cambridge, Sawtry and Royston.
The alarm was raised at 11.26am on Saturday morning, with firefighters working right through the night and on until 1pm on Sunday morning, the blaze taking over 24-hours to get under control.
No one was hurt in the fire, a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said that either the building had been empty at the time of the blaze or anyone inside had managed to get out. The A1198 had to be closed while firefighters tackled the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
An investigation into what started the blaze is due to start today, Monday.
- 1 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 4 All UK adults to be offered Covid vaccine by September, says Government
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 7 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 10 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal