Gallery: Duke of York visits Huntingdon
HIS Royal Highness the Duke of York arrived in Huntingdon today (Tuesday) to recognise British manufacturing excellence by visiting one of the town s most prestigious companies. Prince Andrew spent more than an hour at Meridian Audio in Latham Road where
HIS Royal Highness the Duke of York arrived in Huntingdon today (Tuesday) to recognise British manufacturing excellence by visiting one of the town's most prestigious companies.
Prince Andrew spent more than an hour at Meridian Audio in Latham Road where he was given a tour of the factory and presented with a compact audio system. He was also treated to a demonstration of the world's first 10-megapixel home cinema projector.
Speaking to employees, the Duke said: "I had no idea how interesting sound could be. "I would like to congratulate you all on what you have achieved here and wish you every success as you branch out across the world."
The Duke, who is the UK's special representative for international trade and investment, was greeted by Meridian Audio founders Bob Stuart and Allen Boothroyd and CEO Tim Ireland.
You may also want to watch:
Meridian Audio designs, engineers and manufacturers high-performance audio equipment from its Huntingdon headquarters where it employs 100 people.
This was the first time royalty had visited the company.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 3 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 4 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 7 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 8 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 9 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
- 10 Fenstanton Youth pick up where they left off with win over Bluntisham Blasters
Mr Stuart said: "We feel very privileged to have been given the opportunity to meet with The Duke of York and be able to share both our success story and passion for cutting-edge technology with him.
"He seemed genuinely interested and enthused about our products."
Formed in 1977 Meridian Audio has been praised for developing high-end audio equipment, and its founders are three-time winners of the British Design Council Award for Outstanding British Products.