Gallery: Duke of York visits Huntingdon
HIS Royal Highness the Duke of York arrived in Huntingdon today (Tuesday) to recognise British manufacturing excellence by visiting one of the town s most prestigious companies. Prince Andrew spent more than an hour at Meridian Audio in Latham Road where
HIS Royal Highness the Duke of York arrived in Huntingdon today (Tuesday) to recognise British manufacturing excellence by visiting one of the town's most prestigious companies.
Prince Andrew spent more than an hour at Meridian Audio in Latham Road where he was given a tour of the factory and presented with a compact audio system. He was also treated to a demonstration of the world's first 10-megapixel home cinema projector.
Speaking to employees, the Duke said: "I had no idea how interesting sound could be. "I would like to congratulate you all on what you have achieved here and wish you every success as you branch out across the world."
The Duke, who is the UK's special representative for international trade and investment, was greeted by Meridian Audio founders Bob Stuart and Allen Boothroyd and CEO Tim Ireland.
You may also want to watch:
Meridian Audio designs, engineers and manufacturers high-performance audio equipment from its Huntingdon headquarters where it employs 100 people.
This was the first time royalty had visited the company.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 7 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 10 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
Mr Stuart said: "We feel very privileged to have been given the opportunity to meet with The Duke of York and be able to share both our success story and passion for cutting-edge technology with him.
"He seemed genuinely interested and enthused about our products."
Formed in 1977 Meridian Audio has been praised for developing high-end audio equipment, and its founders are three-time winners of the British Design Council Award for Outstanding British Products.