THERE were spooky stories in the library at Abbey College in Ramsey last week – but it was all in aid of raising money for a trip to Peru. A group of Year 11 and 12 students organised an evening of Hallowe en ghost stories in the atmospheric surroundings
THERE were spooky stories in the library at Abbey College in Ramsey last week - but it was all in aid of raising money for a trip to Peru.
A group of Year 11 and 12 students organised an evening of Hallowe'en ghost stories in the atmospheric surroundings of the library on October 31.
The normally bustling centre was transformed into an eerie candlelit Victorian parlour for the evening, which was presented by The Ramsey Storytellers.
The students arranged the evening as a fund-raising event towards the £3,500 they each need to take part in the World Team Challenge in Peru next summer.
It is a demanding four-week expedition which takes place following a 15-20 month team building and skills development programme.
The expedition involves project work, trekking and cultural adventure as well as a focus on the community or the environment.
- 1 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 2 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 3 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 4 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 5 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 6 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 7 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 8 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 9 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 10 Community invited to Paxfest and to get tails wagging at the Fun Dog Show
James Hussey, 16, said: "There are 15 students from Abbey College who are hoping to take part in the World Team Challenge.
"As well as raising money on an individual basis, we have also decided to work as a group to help us all reach our target.
"The college library seemed like an ideal setting for a spooky Hallowe'en evening and we have other events planned such as a car boot sale."
The Ramsey Storytellers is a group of five volunteers who enjoy telling stories. One, Richard Storey, said: "We leapt at the chance of performing in such an historic and atmospheric building.
"It also gave us an ideal opportunity to relate tales that focused on the Hallowe'en traditions of ghosts and spirits."
INFORMATION: The Ramsey Storytellers can be contacted through Richard Storey on 01487 710363.