‘Free after 3’ - count me out
I REFER to your ‘Free after three’ article (The Hunts Post, October 17) and find it quite laughable that free parking after 3pm is expected to increase trading in the town centres in the run-up to Christmas.
First, I don’t believe people will not want to take their children round the shops with them when some have the potential to do this earlier in the day without their presence – presumably, these will be the very people most will be wanting to purchase gifts for, so their absence will be both welcomed and preferred!
Secondly, I see the (arguably) most conveniently situated car park in Huntingdon town – Sainsbury’s - isn’t included in the scheme. Ridiculous.
We can add to this the fact that the scheme doesn’t run on Saturdays either.
Also, what about those of us who finish work at 5pm? Well, that doesn’t matter, as a majority of the (rather poor selection of) shops close at 5.30pm anyway, so I’ll go to Cambridge or Peterborough for late night shopping.
You may also want to watch:
Granted, I will pay more for fuel and parking, but I’ll be able to get everything I require at once, as a trip to one of these larger shopping destinations would have been inevitable anyway.
- 1 Letter of the Week: Brexit gain for food bank!
- 2 WATCH: One minute silence to honour the Duke
- 3 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 4 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 5 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 6 Best Seat in the House - Meal boxes - are they an over-priced luxury?
- 7 More Readers' Photos for this week
- 8 Concerns raised about increase in lorries if plan goes ahead
- 9 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 10 New emergency facilities open at Hinchingbrooke Hospital