Forty Foot speedster banned from driving
A DRIVER was today banned from driving for 56 days after he admitted speeding at more than 100mph along a notorious stretch of road in the Fens.Vincent Barrett-McGrath of Bourne, Lincs, appeared before Fenland Magistrates Court where he admitted speedin
A DRIVER was today banned from driving for 56 days after he admitted speeding at more than 100mph along a notorious stretch of road in Ramsey.
Vincent Barrett-McGrath of Bourne, Lincs, appeared before Fenland Magistrates' Court where he admitted speeding along the Ramsey Forty Foot Bank, which runs between Chatteris and Ramsey, on July 15.
John Nooijen, posecuting, said Barrett-McGrath, 40, was caught travelling at a speed of 102mph, along the road which has a 50mph limit.
Last winter five people lost their lives in as many weeks following accidents along the same stretch of road, which runs along the banks of the Forty Foot Drain.
Three Portuguese factory workers from Peterborough died after their car plunged into the Forty Foot in January.
A few weeks earlier Dean Hawes, 28 and his son Jordan, seven, of Chatteris also died.
- 1 Police called to reports of violence in Huntingdon
- 2 Planning proposal for a new café to be reviewed by St Neots Town Council
- 3 Fire safety warning as Met Office warns second heatwave on way
- 4 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 5 Ramsey students crowned winners in science competition
- 6 Home of the Week
- 7 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 8 Dancers Jive, tango and have fun at the Illumination Dance Masquerade Ball
- 9 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
Next month Cambridgeshire County Council will decide whether to spend £400,000 on average speed cameras along the road in a bid to enforce the 50mph limit.
Barrett-McGrath, who works as the manager of a children's home, was also fined £400 and ordered to pay £35 costs.