Forty Foot Road: Campaign supported by parents of Karen Abblitt
THE road has a history of tragic deaths. The Hunts Post campaign for action has been supported by Shirley and Tom Abblitt, whose only daughter Karen died, aged 20, on the first trip out in her new mini in 1978. Karen was a careful driver who had been borr
THE road has a history of tragic deaths. The Hunts Post campaign for action has been supported by Shirley and Tom Abblitt, whose only daughter Karen died, aged 20, on the first trip out in her new mini in 1978.
Karen was a careful driver who had been borrowing her father's car for two years without ever having an accident. Nothing was found to be wrong with the car and no one knew why it had crossed the road and ended up in the river.
Her mother called for action at the time of her daughter's death, saying barriers would prevent other tragedies. Backing The Hunts Post campaign, she said: "The road is not very level and once your wheels are off the road, you are in the water. I think they should put signs up saying slow down and put in barriers and speed cameras.
"They should have done something about that road years ago. It is only a matter of time before someone else goes into the river. Let's hope they do something before someone else dies."
You may also want to watch:
Her husband said: "The river is now closer to the road. When I was young, it was almost the width of a car away but dredging has brought the bank nearer."
Karen was engaged to be married and her then fiance, Neil Green, from Chatteris has also backed the campaign. He said: "Every time I pick up the paper and read there has been another accident along that bloody drain, it turns my stomach. I think after all these years it's disgusting that something hasn't been done.
- 1 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 2 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 3 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 4 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 5 Memories of St Neots' town centre
- 6 Ventriloquist shares career highlights after retiring in Huntingdon
- 7 Man who died in road crash is named
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 For sale: Spacious two bedroom bungalow with generous plots in Hartford
- 10 Fish and Chip shop wins award