More than £9,000 was raised during this year s Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes. Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a c
More than £9,000 was raised during this year's Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes.
Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a cash boost just in time for the festive period.
The 1940s Weekend was held in August at RAF Upwood, near Ramsey.
Other good causes to benefit from the event included Cancer Research and Barnardo's, and both Addenbrooke's and Hinchingbrooke hospitals.
The organisers said small local groups benefited most. Organisations such as the RAF Cadets, Ramsey Playgroup, Ramsey Day Care Centre, Ramsey Carnival, Somersham Brownies and Ramsey Christmas lights all received donations ranging from £200 to £600.
Weekend committee chairman Brian Cunningham said: "Although Ramsey 1940s Weekend is great fun and a highlight of the town's social calendar, it's important to remember that there's a serious reason for doing it.
- 1 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 2 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 The Real Pie Company has opened in Huntingdon
- 5 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 6 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 7 Drugs uncovered in Huntingdon home
- 8 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 9 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 10 Drug Dealer from Huntingdon has been sentenced
"The weekend is all about raising money for charities and by donating to small local bodies we can make a real difference to the lives of local people.
"The 2007 1940s Weekend is going to be bigger and better than ever, with additional entertainment, more living history displays and more fun activities. We hope this will encourage more visitors so at this time next year, there will be even more funds to give away and a little more cheer to spread around."
INFORMATION: Ramsey 1940s Weekend will be held on August 18-19 at RAF Upwood. For details, you can also visit www.ramsey1940sweekend.info