More than £9,000 was raised during this year s Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes. Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a c
More than £9,000 was raised during this year's Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes.
Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a cash boost just in time for the festive period.
The 1940s Weekend was held in August at RAF Upwood, near Ramsey.
Other good causes to benefit from the event included Cancer Research and Barnardo's, and both Addenbrooke's and Hinchingbrooke hospitals.
The organisers said small local groups benefited most. Organisations such as the RAF Cadets, Ramsey Playgroup, Ramsey Day Care Centre, Ramsey Carnival, Somersham Brownies and Ramsey Christmas lights all received donations ranging from £200 to £600.
Weekend committee chairman Brian Cunningham said: "Although Ramsey 1940s Weekend is great fun and a highlight of the town's social calendar, it's important to remember that there's a serious reason for doing it.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 6 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 9 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 10 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
"The weekend is all about raising money for charities and by donating to small local bodies we can make a real difference to the lives of local people.
"The 2007 1940s Weekend is going to be bigger and better than ever, with additional entertainment, more living history displays and more fun activities. We hope this will encourage more visitors so at this time next year, there will be even more funds to give away and a little more cheer to spread around."
INFORMATION: Ramsey 1940s Weekend will be held on August 18-19 at RAF Upwood. For details, you can also visit www.ramsey1940sweekend.info