More than £9,000 was raised during this year s Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes. Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a c
More than £9,000 was raised during this year's Ramsey 1940s Weekend, benefiting several charities and good causes.
Members of Ramsey Senior Citizens club had a special Christmas lunch thanks to the fund-raising event, and many other charities received a cash boost just in time for the festive period.
The 1940s Weekend was held in August at RAF Upwood, near Ramsey.
Other good causes to benefit from the event included Cancer Research and Barnardo's, and both Addenbrooke's and Hinchingbrooke hospitals.
You may also want to watch:
The organisers said small local groups benefited most. Organisations such as the RAF Cadets, Ramsey Playgroup, Ramsey Day Care Centre, Ramsey Carnival, Somersham Brownies and Ramsey Christmas lights all received donations ranging from £200 to £600.
Weekend committee chairman Brian Cunningham said: "Although Ramsey 1940s Weekend is great fun and a highlight of the town's social calendar, it's important to remember that there's a serious reason for doing it.
- 1 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 2 Alconbury to benefit from £200,000 flood protection funding
- 3 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 4 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 5 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 6 New project will enhance river at Godmanchester
- 7 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 8 Village job club providing vital service
- 9 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 10 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
"The weekend is all about raising money for charities and by donating to small local bodies we can make a real difference to the lives of local people.
"The 2007 1940s Weekend is going to be bigger and better than ever, with additional entertainment, more living history displays and more fun activities. We hope this will encourage more visitors so at this time next year, there will be even more funds to give away and a little more cheer to spread around."
INFORMATION: Ramsey 1940s Weekend will be held on August 18-19 at RAF Upwood. For details, you can also visit www.ramsey1940sweekend.info