Former Ramsey mayor loses cancer battle
A FORMER Mayor of Ramsey has died, after a long battle with cancer. Councillor Neil Dick, who was serving the town as deputy mayor, died on July 8. Current Mayor Pat Taylor said: Neil valiantly fought his illness with great courage and stoicism to the bi
A FORMER Mayor of Ramsey has died, after a long battle with cancer.
Councillor Neil Dick, who was serving the town as deputy mayor, died on July 8.
Current Mayor Pat Taylor said: "Neil valiantly fought his illness with great courage and stoicism to the bitter end. We opened our July meeting with a minute's silence in his memory. We offer our sincere condolences to his widow, Gay, and daughter, Fiona."
Cllr Dick was co-opted onto the council in August 2003 and during his time on the council he served as Deputy Mayor in 2007-08 and Mayor 2008-09.
Although unable to attend many civic functions as mayor, Cllr Dick used his expertise in many areas in directing a variety of issues and offering valid advice on numerous matters. He played a critical and important part in obtaining the grant to initiate the "Job Search Project" which has been successfully running since 2004.
Cllr Taylor added: "The decision of Tesco to open a store in Ramsey was truly welcomed by Neil. He felt that as Tesco had shown confidence in the growth of Ramsey, it would be the start of other developments to enhance the town."
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 9 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 10 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
Neil Dick's funeral is to be held at Peterborough Crematorium on Thursday, July 16 at 4pm.