Former Ramsey mayor loses cancer battle
A FORMER Mayor of Ramsey has died, after a long battle with cancer. Councillor Neil Dick, who was serving the town as deputy mayor, died on July 8. Current Mayor Pat Taylor said: Neil valiantly fought his illness with great courage and stoicism to the bi
A FORMER Mayor of Ramsey has died, after a long battle with cancer.
Councillor Neil Dick, who was serving the town as deputy mayor, died on July 8.
Current Mayor Pat Taylor said: "Neil valiantly fought his illness with great courage and stoicism to the bitter end. We opened our July meeting with a minute's silence in his memory. We offer our sincere condolences to his widow, Gay, and daughter, Fiona."
Cllr Dick was co-opted onto the council in August 2003 and during his time on the council he served as Deputy Mayor in 2007-08 and Mayor 2008-09.
You may also want to watch:
Although unable to attend many civic functions as mayor, Cllr Dick used his expertise in many areas in directing a variety of issues and offering valid advice on numerous matters. He played a critical and important part in obtaining the grant to initiate the "Job Search Project" which has been successfully running since 2004.
Cllr Taylor added: "The decision of Tesco to open a store in Ramsey was truly welcomed by Neil. He felt that as Tesco had shown confidence in the growth of Ramsey, it would be the start of other developments to enhance the town."
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
Neil Dick's funeral is to be held at Peterborough Crematorium on Thursday, July 16 at 4pm.